Friday, February 1, 2013

The Ongoing Story

In those first few sleep-deprived months of cuddly constant night feedings, I began to tell N a story. An ongoing story. The hero of the story is also named N, but he has a special magical ability - flight. And a best friend, named Michael, who is a mouse from Paris. Together, N and Michael have adventures all across the world. They have been horse back riding, kite surfing and canoeing. They have gone on a Belgian chocolate tasting tour and hiked the Swiss Alps. They have been to an amazing park called "The Great Swing Park" and they once met Santa and his elves in their secret workshop above Prague.

I love to tell N this story. It begins anytime he is feeling a little sad or bored, like in the last twenty minutes of a stroller ride or a car ride at the end of the day. Each one starts as N and Michael decide what they want to do that day and each one ends with them going to sleep that night, happily dreaming of the nice day they had.

Though N may not always understand the story, it seems to help him relax for a while, and meanwhile I am learning a lot about the characters and how to tell a good story, so as it continues and he grows to understand it more, I will have a lot to draw on.

One final note. One way I make the story fun to tell for me is to weave in some of my memories - places I've been that I've loved, activities I enjoy, foods I like. It's fun to tell N a story where the heroes visit my favorite places, do my favorite things, and eat my favorite foods. And as he continues to develop his own interests, the characters will undoubtedly dabble in those things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment