Thursday, January 31, 2013

DIY for the rest of us - A Glue Gun, Contact Paper and Duct Tape



You can make a lot of kids' toys with a glue gun and duct tape. Throw in some contact paper and you are set. Two projects that each took me about an hour and a half were Nate's train table and his little kitchen. The train table features a $10 IKEA train set glued down to a plywood sheet, with some arches made from blocks (glued down) and some felt pieces for water and grass (glued down). Pretty easy. Then I duct taped the whole thing to the coffee table, so I can take it off now and then to keep it fresh.

The kitchen is basically three boxes covered in contact paper, with felt circles (glued down) for burners and some boxes (glued up) hanging from the left hand box for shelves. Total cost on that one was probably about thirty cents.

I'm planning to become handy. Very handy. I have already purchased sand paper and an electric drill so that one day soon I will be making the DIY trestle tables, art tables, bookshelves, reading tents and everything else so tempting at Ana White's incredible make-your-own-everything site. But for now, I recommend a glue gun. And duct tape. And contact paper. You'll soon find the sky's the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment